Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Standard introductory post

Over the past couple of years, I have become a farmers market convert. I go to farmers markets not only in the summer, when they are awash with fruits and vegetables, but also all winter, when all you can get are potatoes, apples, and onions. This summer I have started going to between two and four markets a week in the DC area (it helps that I live within a block of the Mt. Pleasant farmers market and walk right by the Crystal City market on my way home from work on Tuesdays).

So, why is it that my reusable shopping bag is always full of such predictable produce? Tomatoes, berries, carrots, cucumbers, onions... I look longingly at other vegetables, from the rather exotic (fava beans, bok choy, garlic scapes) to the ordinary (cabbage, turnips, pattypan squash), but I almost never try anything new.

No more! I've started this blog in a way to publicly shame myself into trying all of the more interesting vegetables and other farmers market goodies. Also, I am participating in Farm to Philly's One Local Summer challenge, and I think I may be the only one without a blog, which is inconvenient. I had been posting on Facebook, but it's just not the same. To be honest I am also just looking for a summer project. I've never been able to handle free time very well.

By the way, I am not married to the name of this blog--any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Great idea, this blog! I will think about a name, as I'm sure others will too. You've been added to my "favorites", although you've always been on my personal list! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!! You are a blogger!

    So my new name choices are...

    Vegetable Voyeur (sp?)

    Vegetable Stalker (get it "Stalk"er!!!)

    I'm proud of you.

    Love you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete