Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Local meal #3



All right, finally starting the new content! Though the meal I am about to describe was technically eaten on June 16.

I was determined to use the fava beans I bought the previous Saturday at the U Street market. Frankly, they were starting to get a little wrinkly. My plan was to make another, well, tartine, using roughly this recipe from Epicurious. However, I forgot that, for all of its convenience and charms, the Crystal City market has no dairy, therefore, no ricotta.

So, I improvised. Instead of ricotta, I used goat cheese. Instead of garlic (since there isn't really garlic at the market yet), I used diced red onion. And, I added golden beets just for fun.

What I ended up with was a colorful, messy group of open-faced sandwiches. They look lovely in this picture, but trust me, I was a mess by the time I finished. The beets were a little too bland just roasted and plopped on the sandwich, but otherwise it was a delicious meal that gave me an opportunity to use fresh fava beans for the very first time. Mission accomplished.

Oh, and I had a bowl of cherries for dessert--I believe they were from West Virginia. Here are a few more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment